Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Twist and Shout

Welcome to Twisted, a Social Commentary by Kevin James Day. My opportunity to share my thoughts on things I see around me. Things I do. Things I experience. Things I love. Things I don't. Things that piss me off!

Vancouver is the center of my universe. I know Torontonians truly believe they are at the center of every Canadians universe, but alas, WRONG. I've lived there. Mars at best. Still a bit behind on the Social Evolutionary scale. Every visitor to Vancouver comments on our social graces. "Everyone is so nice", we hear them say. Torontonians are so busy being busy that they forget to be nice. Not to mention the bigoted undertones that still prevail.

"But you have too much rain", they would counter. And yes, we would at times agree, but when our skies are clear they are still blue not brown. Our rain cleanses. Our mountains are rock not concrete. We have an ocean, not a lake. We pause to smell the roses. They smell exhaust.

Most importantly, Vancouverites believe that Vancouver is the center of their universe, but are not arrogant enough to believe it's the center of every Canadian's. That is the fundamental difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment